Tuesday, July 3, 2012

More Goals

Goal setting seems to be surrounding me on all sides these days.  At my company, we are embarking on a new fiscal year, and are defining our goals and budgets for the next 12 months.  In the blogsphere, my favorite blogs  are sharing their goals for the month of July and the rest of the year.

Inspired by those around me, I thought I would sit down and define my own goals for the next few months. I have previously outlined a few physical goals that I would like to achieve in the short term.  But I want to look beyond the physical – to the other aspects that make me…well, me.  Due to my love for alliteration, I have categorized my goals as Faith, Family, Fitness, and Food.

Faith:

Goal: To deepen my relationship with Christ.

  • Develop the habit of a daily quiet time. I have been following the reading plans suggested by the ladies at She Reads Truth. But I often fail to have a quiet time on the weekends.  I do best if I have my quiet time first thing in the morning. This may mean getting up earlier, or using the You Version App to read before my weekend runs, but I can make this work.
  • Devote more time to preparing my Sunday School Lesson. Last September, I became the Sunday school teacher for our Youth class. I started off strong - reading the scriptures one day, the commentary in the teaching guide the next, and making a "lesson plan". But somewhere along the way I got off track and have just been throwing the lessons together. Starting with this week's lesson - I will read the Scriptures on Monday, study the commentary on Tuesday, develop the lesson plan on Wednesday/Thursday, and review everything on Saturday afternoon.
    Find opportunities to serve others - both in my church and in the community at large.

 

DSC_0778 Family:

Goal: Deepen my relationship with Micheal (hubby)

  • Devote at least 1 night per week to "hiding out" with my husband - Between work, church, family, and friends, M and I often spend little to no time at home during the week. This often leaves us feeling frazzled., I want to have a least one evening per week where M and I are at home....alone....just taking care of ourselves and the chores that often accumulate at home.
  • Have "date night" each week. - Date night is different from "hiding out". Date night is a night reserved for nothing more than spending time together. No chores allowed on date night!

DSC_1329

Goal:  Spend time playing with my daughter
     

  • At least once a week, I want to spend an afternoon/evening during nothing more than playing with my daughter. I loved having a playout with her a few weeks ago. I can see us taking trips to the local playground, going swimming, or spending an evening chasing bubbles and firelies in the backyard.

Goal: Spend more time with our parents.

  • This will include lunch dates with my Daddy, shopping trips with my Mama and MIL, and at least two "parents" dinners at our home.

Fitness

Headed to the finish line #1

Goal: Complete Phase 1 of the LiveFit Trainer during the month of July

  • Ultimately, I would love to do the entire LiveFit plan. However, I am going to focus on just one phase at a time, as I can not predict if our work and family obligations will leave us with the ability to complete Phases 2 and 3.  I will re-evaluate this goal at the end of July.

Food

Goal: Eat more “real” foods….less junk. Spend more time learning to cook and bake.

  • Prepare my own breakfast each morning before work rather than resorting to a pastry or bar from the office kitchen.
  • Take my lunch to work – alternate between huge salads or leftovers from the previous night’s meal.
  • Prepare at  least 1 new meal per month with a focus on vegetarian/vegan meals.
  • Bake at least 1 new item per month.

 

Things to talk about: What goals do you have for the month of July?  Any goals for the rest of the year?  Have you met any goals already this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment