Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kooking with Kim: Protein Pancakes

For those closest to me, it is know secret that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE food. My favorite part of any vacation is trying new restaurants, and at holidays or family events I have specific requests for the items that should be prepared – so that I can gobble them up.  But as much as I love food, I despise cooking.  My dislike for cooking from the fact that I don’t feel very good at it.  When I am cooking, it feels awkward, forced, I am worried that I am going to mess it up – if it isn’t perfect then it will be failure (Hello Type A personality).

However, last night, as I watched my husband effortlessly (or at least it looked that way) make delish chicken I had an ephinany.  When I first started running, I did not like it – it too felt awkward, forced, and was not very good at it.  But over time, I got better, it became easier and now I love running. The key to my falling in love with running was practice. I wondered if the same principle could be applied to cooking.  And thus Kooking with Kim was born.

Each week, I will choose a recipe to prepare. Then I will document the process here on the blog. I will share my triumphs and failures.  And hopefully in the process, I will fall in love with cooking.  This week’s recipe was inspired by Tina at CarrotsnCake's OMG Pancakes.

Ingredients:

1 ripe banana

1 tablespoon of almond butter

1 egg

.5 teaspoon of vanilla

DSC_1660

 

Place all of your ingredients into a blender. I used my generic version of a Magic Bullet. Blend away.

DSC_1661

After blending, pour the batter into a pan lightly coated with cooking spray. The pan should be on medium low heat.

DSC_1662

When bubbles appear thru the batter, you know it’s time to flip. 

DSC_1663

Stack up your cooked pancakes and top with any toppings your heart desires.

DSC_1667

I had enough batter to make 3 pancakes. The third pancake had a mishap while flipping and was slightly misshaped but still tasted delish. I think these would easier to prepare if you used a griddle or griddle pan. I topped my pancakes with homemade strawberry preserves.  The pancakes were sweet, moist, and really filled me up compared to traditional pancakes.

 

Things to talk about:  Are you in love with cooking?  Do you despise cooking?  Do you have a recipe you would like me to try as part of Kooking with Kim?

No comments:

Post a Comment